View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #123 (permalink)
niko86
Base Member

Drives: MY05 350Z, MY10 370Z
niko86 is on a distinguished road

sure, metallic catalyic converters will break sooner than ceramic ones, but that's more of a maintenance issue than a performance one i think

I built a couple of turbocharged cars and still do, i have always used metallic HFC type cats, and the only downside is that you will eventually burn out these cats and need to replace them.

if things go really bad you might have excessive back pressure from a deformed metallic cat in your exhaust thats clogging it up.

What i do on my other cars is just checking on the cats whenever i do an oil change, that's easy enough, does not take long at all, if needs be, i just replace them.

Generally with forced induction you want to reduce back pressure, i am not sure what the deal is with the vortech V3 unit, maybe it's not capable of pumping enough air if the back pressure decreases too much.

So basically it is not a problem the HFCs are introducing into the system, but rather the heat will be higher because of the forced induction, which will shorten the live of your HFCs
niko86 is offline   Reply With Quote