Thread: removable sub
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
imag
Enthusiast Member

Drives: up the wall
imag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Division View Post
All things considered, you're probably looking for something to replace the spare tire. With the spare tire removed, you have between 7" and 8" of depth to play with, which doesn't leave you many speaker options. The option I'm most fond of at the moment is 2fast4thelaw's JL13W5 installation (see his thread here) Something similar will give you the stealth look you're looking for, with the potential of being removable for track days.
That is *exactly* what I want, with provisions for easy removal. I wonder if I can even build in some of the sound insulation onto the enclosure rather than the car.

It sounds like he's happy with the JL 13.5". I'm not worried about the money for the sub - if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. My understanding of those subs is that they have to have exactly the right volume enclosure - any deviation totally screws them up. 2Fast did it right.

Anyway, thanks for posting - I don't know how I missed that thread!

As far as ported vs. non, everyone knows Big is correct. Sealed is always the choice if sound *quality* is the top priority. That doesn't mean ported doesn't get you more volume, or decent (even excellent) sound if designed correctly, but for flat response, sealed is ideal.