Thread: removable sub
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
ConchZ2
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z red 6sp sprt
ConchZ2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Division View Post
All things considered, you're probably looking for something to replace the spare tire. With the spare tire removed, you have between 7" and 8" of depth to play with, which doesn't leave you many speaker options. The option I'm most fond of at the moment is 2fast4thelaw's JL13W5 installation (see his thread here) Something similar will give you the stealth look you're looking for, with the potential of being removable for track days.

There are a number of other shallow mount sub options available that serve as alternate's to the JL13W5, but you get what you pay for. JL makes quality gear, as do a number of other manufactures. As we all know, when you starting trying to achieve 'perfection', cost increases exponentially compared to 'what you get'. Achieving 80% may cost $10, 90% will cost $100, and 95% $1000 (and so on...), its up to you to determine what you need. This holds just as much weight in vehicles, as it does in audio. JL tends to be on the higher end of both price and performance, however you can get 'similar' performance for less money if you so desire. The Pioneer and Elemental Designs low profile subs come to mind.

Basically only you can break out your scales- Is keeping the spare tire important? Can I put a visible sub in the back hatch area? Do want higher quality components, or can I settle for less? Once you weigh everything, your choice will be simple.

edit rant removed.

I totally agree with you………………
ConchZ2 is offline   Reply With Quote