View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #38 (permalink)
YzGyz
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Nismo
YzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche79 View Post
Hey guys, I'm starting to get interested in buying a starter bike. I have already spoke with the motorcycle safety course to get trained and do it right! I have never ridden a bike but just a small scooter around the roads of my friends home. Any suggestions, I hear anything from the 250/300 to a full 600. I also am leaning more used unless it was a new ninja 300. I went to the dealer and they are trying to push the old '14's off of their floor. I also worry I might not ride it a lot if I find I enjoy my car more. Still want to try it and don't know whats the best options here for a beginner. Ive been looking at craigslist etc at all sorts of sport style bikes. Your thoughts would be great! thanks.
The Motor Bike Safety Course is a good idea. I always recommend it to anyone that want to ride. It's good cheap introduction/practice to bike riding. As for what kind of bike to buy, that depends on what you plan to do with it. That decision is much like buying a car. Do you wan to cruise around town in a chopper, float around in comfort in a Goldwing, or zoom about in a sport bike? I'm a sport bike guy myself. Buying used is a good idea. There are a lot of good bikes around for $3k and even more at $3.5k. I suggest you bring a buddy that knows a thing or two about bikes when you go take a look at a used bike. He can ride it and point things out. His insight may not only inform you of cons and pros of the bike but he may become the dominate representative in bargaining final prices. He will become the "expert" in the exchange and the seller is less likely to try and "cheat" you.

A good tip if you happen to be buying from a dealer is to bring jack stands. Since most places wont allow you to test ride unlike car dealers, you can at least run through the gears if you prop the bike up on stands.

I'm also a firm believer of gearing up. Get a nice cold (leather) and hot (mesh) riding gear. Always buy leather palmed gloves. Always wear gloves when you ride. The first thing you do when you go down is try to stabilize yourself with your hands. You do what to keep working hands don't you? Also make sure your shoe laces are firmly secured. You do not want you foot fulled into the moving parts. Always wear a fitting helmet (aka lid). Yes, even on hot as balls days. It's just a matter of time before you go down so gear up for it. Safety gear IMO is prepaid Insurance. You pay for it once and it's there to keep you safe.

Last but not least, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE! Don't try too zoom up or take turns too fast because the guy in front of you did it. Be smart.

Keep the wheels down my riding friends.
YzGyz
YzGyz is offline   Reply With Quote