View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #3865 (permalink)
phantom370z
Track Member

Drives: 14 Nismo 370Z PW
phantom370z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDan50 View Post
I do have one complaint about Motion Lab....they're not closer to me!!! I'd be there all the time if they were closer lol. Seriously though, being in the military and having to move every two years or so (I'm retired btw)...I've done business with tuner/car shops from all over the world from Hawaii to Japan to Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands. I would honestly rank Todd and Motion Lab as one of the top businesses for their size. They're not as big as Z1 or other shops, but sometimes thats a good thing. Some of the other "top" car shops I've had business with were smaller-scale businesses like in Japan and most recently Custom Import Arts in Belgium.

I've gone through two "builds" with Motion Lab; going from basic bolt-on NA stuff to piecing together a used Stillen supercharger on my 370z and now with the single-turbo setup. My Stillen vortech blower had something go wrong with it and from analyzing all the aspects over the past year or so, I believe that its failure had nothing to do with Motion Lab's work. The install and tune was awesome. After having it put on, I did a cross-country drive from NC to Destin, FL and then to San Angelo, TX. I believe that somewhere along my trip, the oil drain on the blower may have gotten loose, causing all the blower oil to drain and run dry. I was careful to keep a good eye on the level during my trip and even went to a shop in Texas to get more Vortech supercharger fluid, but you know how these things go.

Long story cut short...my 370 was transported to TX to Tampa, FL to VSR Motorsports (aka Vortex / formerly S and R) and had their single-turbo kit installed/tuned. VSR did a good job and I drove it several hours from Tampa back to South Carolina with no problems, just a big grin on my face. I only took my car back to Motion Lab because I consider Todd and EXPERT tuner with his world-wide /multi-platform experience. I was sure he could improve on the tune...not doubting / knocking VSR's tune, but just wanted to be doubly sure...with the amount of $$$ that went into the turbo install, I thought that spending a little more to make sure everything was good, was a good idea...nothing like a good "cross-check".

Todd was able to fine tune Uprev and VVEL parameters which made a good difference and smoothness, powerband and overall power. He was able to extract more power and made the same power as before but with 2psi less boost while still keeping a conservative tune. Just a month or so passed and I wanted to see what could be done with race gas at the same boost levels because I still have stock internals. I went back to Motion Lab for my third time dyno tuning there, but this time with Q16 race gas. You can check my build thread for the dyno graph...pretty sure its in there; 611 rwhp / 517 ft-lbs @10.5 psi. I think the biggest bottle-neck right now is the stock MAFs maxing out voltage but I wouldn't want to go any higher on power anyways with the stock internals.

Its been almost a year to the date now (Oct 3rd 2013) that I did that race gas tune. My Z has been a daily driver with a manual boost controller set to 10psi up until last month when I picked up a used Prius . Its been driven hard and went through a set of Michelin PSS tires...on 305 Hankook RS3s now...been driven daily and on several long-distance trips going to different events and dyno'd at Z1 at Z Nationals last year, SOHO's East/West Coast event last year, done time at the drag strip....lets just say I don't baby the car, but I do drive safe So with a years worth of use/abuse but diligent care by me, the car is still running strong and just wants me to upgrade more (internals, fuel return, MAFs, etc)...and Motion Lab is number 1 on my list to go to when that time comes.

Todd, Alex and their crew are very friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and a pleasure to work with. They make sure things are done and done right. We've spent a few long nights together to make sure dyno tunes were done as good as possible. We've had many conversations (phone/email/in person) discussing each build (NA to SC to Turbo). Their recommendations for parts and options have been spot on for my application and I'm totally happy with my car. I do rock their banner on windshield, but not because I'm sponsored or anything....I just like to promote a good thing when I know it.

Sorry such a long post but I'm on a long lunch break between classes at Bojangles....I'm a full-time student now

Click the link in my sig for my build thread w/ pics and other rants of mine lol
Seems like you're a fan, lol.