Thread: reducing drone
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 02:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
TeamARK
Track Member

Drives: Black 350z/370z
TeamARK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon FM View Post
Ark Performance - Type 2 Stainless Steel True-Dual Exhaust

"Here's my 2 cents:

Essentially the second set of pipes are Helmholtz resonators, this is purely acoustic in nature and not necessarily performance related. The performance related aspects of this system can be attributed to the less restrictive flow path compared to the OEM system (including the x-pipe). The design "engineers" need to speak up to a level of explanation that does not give away their tricks.

I like this system, I think I'll purchase it but will not move until we see comparative dynos."

The side branches most likely are targeting a limited RPM range where flow conditions set up the "drone". The ~2k rpm condition (where drone occurs) is probably the targeted design point for the resonators. Higher RPMs mean a different flow so this becomes an off condition for the resonator design and the side pipes are there for looks.....but I kind of like them anyway

Done with the book...
I would want the customers to have it any other way. Our final production comes in Dec 15th. We have already set aside a day to bring detailed results with videos. Until then, if you have any questions regarding our systems please do not hesitate to ask.

Alex
TeamARK is offline   Reply With Quote