View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
avitech
Base Member

Drives: 82Mercedes-Benz300SD
avitech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
With the number of people on this board and some with great expertise we should be able to pinpoint what is causing the high pitched noise problem. I believe that there are two separate problems and that is creating some confusion. The high pitched noise I hear is definitely not coming from the ecu. It is coming from under the hood at the rear of the engine. It is around
10 kh and is accompanied by what sounds like static (like a cheap 1" speaker being over driven). For those who have this noise, please turn on the ignition
(engine not running) and put the transmission in any gear (out of neutral) and have the hood up. You can clearly hear the noise and it abruptly stops when you put the transmission into neutral. It wll start up again as soon as you start to put the shifter into gear. I think it is some type of relay problem.
Anybody know if there is a relay in that location?

I don't know the specifics of this particular engine. But my best guess without actually seeing the problem in real life; I guess it could be the fuel pump. Maybe it's the sound of the fuel under pressure passing through the fuel pressure regulator. I have had cars the made similar noises.

The problem with warranty's is that it says in the terms and conditions that it doesn't cover out of place noises, sounds, or vibrations. So unless the car isn't running smoothly, there isn't much that can be done about it legally.
avitech is offline   Reply With Quote