View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

See I am on top of the theory of it all, but what I am trying to say is that: just because the no-lift shift box has cut fuel or spark doesnt mean the engine is immediately at the lower speed. It will still take a moment for the mass of the crank and flywheel to decelerate, and with the throttles wide open there isnt even any manifold vacuum to help. If you are shifting as fast as you are physically able, which I assume is pretty fast if you are experienced and confident, the engine isnt going to have enough time to decelerate to 5500rpm.

Of course, the way I am doing it, the engine is staying at redline the entire shift, working the synchros a little more, but my transmission does not complain, it shifts just fine and hasnt started to grind or anything and that is 60,000 miles on it and it is still on the factory fill trans fluid and all. I had the same experience with my 350z, however that car did break its transmission a couple months after I sold it (but it was 10 years old by then and been through hell, and a new trans isnt even expensive enough to worry about). To have it at redline as I release clutch in the next gear also gives me a nice little jerk of power as the inertial energy of the flywheel and crankshaft at 7500rpm gets blasted into the drivetrain to decelerate it to the next gears speed.

If you watch my in-car vids, you will notice that the car only taps the limiter the first time and you cant even hear it because the shift is already over. You use that first cut as your no-load chance to slam that shifter. Only on my slower/miss-timed shifts do you notice that it hit the limiter.

Last edited by phunk; 09-30-2014 at 02:32 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote