View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #60 (permalink)
victorofhavoc
Base Member

Drives: 2014 370z
victorofhavoc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
Slower is smoother if done properly

Fast shifts are fine when you're redlining every gear at the track. Otherwise, it's just clutch in, shift, clutch out. Don't overlap those motions, and be patient. Each shift is different. 1-2 requires the most finesse and patience. But even 3-4 can clunk if you let out the clutch too soon. If you have SRM, use this and practice Kenchan hint #3.
I agree for the most part. However, this being my 7th MT car of yet again a different make, I've learned that some cars like some motions to be overlapped (and that's mostly due to how to pedal engages). I'm not sure about everyone else's Z but mine has the clutch engagement way too high up and past halfway it's all dead zone. I just start releasing in the dead zone when I'm sliding the lever into the next gear. Allows for a very smooth mesh every time.

but yes, definitely slow is smooth. Clutches are meant to be slipped for a reason. Coming from a subaru I can say that clutches will always be cheaper than broken teeth on transmissions...