Thread: z or vette
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #141 (permalink)
Drakonis GTR
Base Member

Drives: 09' 370Z B/S Rd M6
Drakonis GTR is a jewel in the roughDrakonis GTR is a jewel in the roughDrakonis GTR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX52Z View Post
I'm obviously exaggerating for fun but to also underscore the point that there's too much fixation on technical specs, HP and track times when ultimately, folks are going to get what they desire most inside.

I got my GS because I simply wanted one, not because the Z was bad or lesser in any way. In fact, I still think the Z is better looking. I never had a spreadsheet comparison of the two with performance differences, gear ratios, power-to-weight, top speed, track times and so on because none of that matters to me in the real world. As I said, if I could've afforded to, I would still have my Z as well. Hell, I'd still have a stripped down Miata track rat if I had more garage space.
I agree. Obviously the first item is the money. If that wasn't an issue we would all be rolling around in GTRs, Lambos, Veyrons, etc.

If you want more power than a Z, sure get a Vette. It may cost you more, but it's readily available. Hell, lets not forget the fact that there are stock cars that can eat a Vette for lunch, wipe off their chin, and ask for seconds. But a majority of those cost even more, frequently breaking the 6 figure mark. So now we come back to the whole "Bang for the Buck" bit.

Sure, the Vette is impressive for it's price point. There is no way that GM would do anything less for a car that they've been making for over 60 years. For $60-70k (less if you are willing to buy used) you can own a car that will leave the vast majority of vehicles on the road back in the dust. The Z can claim the same thing (albeit to a somewhat lesser extent), but can claim it for $15-20k less. So which is more important; saving the money, or having the power? Answer that question, and you have your answer to the original question.

Wanna talk mods, sure, but the funny thing about mods is that what can be done to one car, can most likely be done to the other. And as the old adage goes, "There is no replacement, for displacement." Hell, throw enough money at anything, and you can make it king of the hill, if only for a little while. I think Hennesey proved that when they took a Lotus Elise/Exige, modded the **** out of it, dropped a Chevy 427 with TT in it, and made a car that outruns the highest tier Bugatti Veyron, and for roughly half the money.

But then again, opinion trumps all. As Nargrakhan had already stated, the OP has already made up his mind, but he seems to want someone to talk him out of it.

2009 Nissan 370Z Base w/ Sport Package
F.I . LTHs with Non-Resonated Cat-back exhaust (C.F.) / Stillen Gen3 CAI / Up-Rev Tune
Drakonis GTR is offline   Reply With Quote