View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
vqpower
Base Member

Drives: G37S Coupe 6MT
vqpower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical View Post
did you do the install yourself? konis won't make it more comfortable. it's probably your sways or the install was botched somehow. the sways transfer the force from the bump to the other side of the car, so if you hit a big bump it'll definitely be jarring.

I didn't do the install, had a shop do it. I glanced at the springs earlier looking to see if there is anything obviously wrong (like springs installed upside down). Didn't see anything.

I took a 70 mile drive today mostly highway and it was amazing how smooth and civilized it was. Great handling and confidence at speed on the mostly smooth highway roads. I think I need to get that alignment done asap since the car did tend to wander a tad more than stock. Alignment is probably off a little. The rear likes to follow the curves of the road more since there is a lot more negative camber there.

Hitting small bumps at high speed results in you really feeling the bumps and road clearly but the car very quickly regains its composure and it really doesn't feel harsh, just firm. This doesn't bother me at all. But hitting a couple of these bumps in quick succession (especially if they are a bit bigger bumps) makes the car feel like its swinging up and down and that you are losing contact with the road and it feels like crap for the passenger. I wonder what causes that. Basically there is too much body motion from those situations. I would have thought that the sway bars would decrease suspension independence but would they really cause what I'm describing? Sway bars also increase effective spring rate, but I think that only happens during turns.
vqpower is offline   Reply With Quote