Thread: road noise
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
mab864
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 13 Sport 6MT
mab864 will become famous soon enough

I did GT mat in the hatch and doors during my stereo install and it made a huge difference in road noise. I did the whole hatch & all of both doors. I think what really made the difference was adding GT mat over the rear wheel wells. I hated the "ting" sound that every rock on the road made being thrown up against the rear wheel wells. I used two layers of GT mat over the wheel wells and that sound has been almost completely eliminated. I didn't notice as much difference in sound reduction when I did the doors, but my stereo sure sounded a lot better. I also switched to Michelin PSS and they run slightly quieter than the Bridgestones but not a whole lot. I was hoping the Michelins would run a little quieter than they do, but they do help reduce noise slightly. One last thing that helps reduce noise in the hatch area is using the factory carpeted mat. I ran with mine in/out quite a bit while installing the stereo and noticed less noise with the extra carpet pad installed.

Last edited by mab864; 09-27-2014 at 07:55 AM.
mab864 is offline   Reply With Quote