View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
SurfDog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 6mt, 13 Sequoia,
SurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond repute

For me it was not the clutch spring (assist?) it was the on off quality of the engagement range and the fact it "floats in the middle of a huge dead space. I tuned my pedal (not really the clutch which only needs a much improved CSC) so that the engagement starts nearer the floor 3/4th inch or so, and the clutch travel ends just a bit after full engagement I left about 1/2 inch for feel. I also widened the engagement window to about twice its OEM size (by changing the actuator attachment point closer to the hinge point)

Now my pedal is more predictable and much easier to feather. As a side benefit the CSC takes much less abuse by not stroking a huge unneeded volume of fluid when I shift.

You can custom tune the pedal like I did, or just put in a tunable pedal, either way the clutch is much more track-able and street-able. If i did it again I'd install the tunable pedal to dial it in "just so". As it is, my clutch (pedal) blows OEM out of the water.

Were really not talking about the actual clutch here, (that is not too bad aside from the huge flywheel) were really just talking pedal geometry, and assist (the spring)

If they'd put in a more user friendly pedal they probably wouldn't have needed the massive flywheel which really just helps smooth out blown/poor shifts.

with my light JWT flywheel synchrorev match gets to speed about 2x as quickly. Handy when downshifting on the track where time matters. The difference is dramatic.
09 6spd Berk CBE, JWT cams, ZSpeed CSC, Stillen (25 row oil, brake cooling, sways, gen3 CAI), Passport (9500ci), Quaife LSD, Z1 400 hp kit, ss lines, pads, rotors, clutch etc, Phunk's pan and fuel starve fix
SurfDog is offline   Reply With Quote