Thread: road noise
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
SurfDog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 6mt, 13 Sequoia,
SurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond repute

I put conny DWs and dynamat in all through the hatch (I went overboard). I have berk HFCs and Catback and the dynamat definitely cut that down from frigging LOUD to just frigging awesome. However, road (tire din) noise is still pretty bad. I track my Z, so I don't want to add any more weight by going crazy with dynamat, but I'd say a bit in the hatch is a good investment. BTW you do not have to "carpet" the whole hatch with dynamat. It is just intended to change the resonance frequency of the panel you are working on. A bit in the middle of any resonating panel is all you need and can save substantial weight. There are better sound deadening solutions (fatmat) that insulate from noise. really it is a two step process
1. Dynamat on resonating panels (just tap them to see if they "ping")
2. Dynalineror equivelent to insulate from outside sound. Dynamat.com | Dynaliner Brand
3. Next step is probably tires and perhaps bushings. I've run OEM, Pilot Super Sports, and Continental DWs. Don't kid yourself, none of them make the Z quiet.

After trying all this (actually I have not swapped out bushings...) I now just stuff in some earplugs that I get from work (I'm a pilot). I can crank the Bose up to 25 or so, and cruise in style able to actually hear my music. I only wonder what the neighbors think when I thunder by with my stereo cranked to "11" and my berks screaming at all the local liberals.
09 6spd Berk CBE, JWT cams, ZSpeed CSC, Stillen (25 row oil, brake cooling, sways, gen3 CAI), Passport (9500ci), Quaife LSD, Z1 400 hp kit, ss lines, pads, rotors, clutch etc, Phunk's pan and fuel starve fix
SurfDog is offline   Reply With Quote