Thread: reducing drone
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: the 2 balled club
Zsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
I know the situation you are in, too. A little bit of it is guilt because you don't like that your significant other no longer likes riding in the Z with you because of the exhaust. When she's in the car with you, you feel bad because you know she's bothered.

But when you are alone, you enjoy it.

Instead of wasting money, just let time pass and you will get over it and it will get better. Don't let the guilt get to you.

Yeah, it sucks that my car gives my girlfriend headaches.... but have you heard how f'ing awesome it sounds? Priorities.
I agree and the wife isnt in it much but now Im just more curious about all this side branch stuff. Ive been googleing it alot and it seems the side branch pipes are a legit way of getting rid of low freq noise (its used in cars, buildings, plants, etc that have generators). I think the Saclam used what is called a trombone style side branch modified a tad. The thing you have to calculate is what freq is producing the drone and then calculate the right length of the side branch to get it to bounce back 180 degrees out of phase to cancel each other out. Sounds pretty interesting. And it would be easy to tap into existing exhaust if you get the right deminsions.

Curiousity has got my attention.

Last edited by Zsteve; 11-27-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Zsteve is offline   Reply With Quote