View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Justice97
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11 370Z MB M6
Justice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond reputeJustice97 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Ummm.. you should never just shift into neutral while the vehicle is moving, let alone during a turn.
I did this in my 280zx all the time, never had an issue. over 223k on the engine and Tranny. Never replaced synchros, still shifts smooth. I don't know about the "during a turn," I guess I never really paid attention.

Neutral is just that neutral. Then engine revs to an idle and you are just coasting. Personally I don't see the danger in it. Your brakes stop the car, never ever ever use the engine or tranny to stop the car. Why, they are crap loads more expensive. That is for racing when you need engine assist, our brakes are fine for street driving. If you need engine assist on the streets you are going to get a DA award soon.

I think i understand the OP completely.

i.e. Exit freeway doing 70 cruising because it is a clear access road and you feel spirited...there is the turn around. 70-60-50-40-30-20 in about about 150 yrds. No need to downshift in that short amount of time, that would be silly. Not to mention you just stressed the hell out of your engine and tranny and maybe ground some gears trying to keep up. Your engine in 6th gear will not bog down and chug until you get to about 15mph. I typically leave it in gear till i get down to the turning speed about 15 or 20. Push in clutch change place it in second let out clutch and prepare to accelerate after I exit turn.

I understand some will get technical about driving a stick. Really it is not rocket science and you will figure out when to down shift and when not to.
I do not down shift to brake I down shift to maintain the correct rpms for the speed I am driving. If i am going to continue to apply my brakes till i come to a stop, i typically do not down shift.

Just my opinion on down shifting.
Justice97 is offline   Reply With Quote