View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROXZILLA View Post
Okay this is going to be a two part question. If this has been answered somewhere else I apologize. I searched for a couple of hours and have not been able to find any solid answers. First question - how important really is the weight of our wheels, especially if we're not autox'ing?? I have the stock 18's and am planning to move to a staggered, flush 19" setup. My Z is a weekend toy which I have no intentions of racing. Sure, I'll step on it and take some fast turns but nothing extreme. So if I move to a heavier wheel am I really going to notice that much difference? Is the performance difference going to be noticeable? I realize going to a wheel that is a few lbs heavier is not a big deal but lets say I throw on a wheel that is 8-10lbs heavier? Second question - if I move to a 19" or 20" wheel, along the same lines am I going to notice much difference? I will be adding HFC's, CAI, exhaust. I don't want to waste performance gains. Any useful info would be appreciated.
if you keep the gross difference within 3lbs per corner you probably wont be able to tell that much.. starting around 4-5lbs difference per corner you can definitely tell you got weight on the corners.

so wat i do is decide wat i want to do with the car first. for instance my G is my dress up car so i run gnosis on her and she is definitely heavier to steer, brake, and accelerate. they are around 27-28lbs per wheel.

on my Z i want to maintain the sporty nimble ride, so i run 19's around 22lbs each. i wont consider running wheels over 24lbs on the Z.

as for good tires, DW are lightest that ive seen, followed by PSS, follwed by RE11/S04. bridgestones are heavier, but they look better at least to me.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote