View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Limeybastard
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 370Z Sport.
Limeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chasing RiDS on panels

What is the method most use to locate paint Rids and swirls on your rides? Most the videos I have seen merely show a halogen light reflecting at perhaps 90 degrees to the panel. I have attempted to use 300 and 500W halogen(s) pointing at the paint revealing the imperfections. I started with two 500W halogens on a tripod that it comes with then went back down to two 300W halogens thinking perhaps the light output was too high.

I have to really struggle with positioning of the lights and my line of sight to locate the rids and scratches on panels, I almost have to squint hard to find them but they are there! Now dont get me wrong my paint has rids and very light swirls on some areas.

I think the following makes sense..

Whilst the halogens are good for spotting swirls and stuff, they're not so good at picking up other defects. Metal Halide or maybe a sun gun may be whats required.

Thanks.

Last edited by Limeybastard; 09-16-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Limeybastard is offline   Reply With Quote