View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Matt
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Avalanche LT
Matt is just really niceMatt is just really niceMatt is just really niceMatt is just really nice
Default My Nismo's new audio setup

After finally completing my setup, I decided to post what I did, and a short review of each component just in case any other Z owner is looking to do something similar.

As you all know, the Nismo and Base Z's come with a dreadful audio system, and had to be my first "upgrade".

Head Unit:

I went with the Clarion NX509. It's got a clean front interface, which I prefer. It's also cheaper than other popular head units (by about $1000) at the cost of losing some features though.

It's got a 7" touchscreen, DVD player, backup camera hookup (purchased extra), bluetooth capable (purchased extra) and 3D navigation.

Pros:

- Great sound.
- Easy to use
- Has everything "I" need.

Cons:

- No integrated bluetooth for phonebook/touchscreen calling capabilities.
- No way to permanently show the backup camera, from what I've seen. Gotta be in reverse.
- No "attenuate volume" capabilites. I have to pause the music. Small annoyance.

Component Speakers:

I went with the Focal 165VR component set. They sound great. The first week or so, they sounded a little weird. But just as the installers told me, they "broke in" just fine and sound great! Even more now that I'm not relying on the mids to give me the bass I want.

I have my doors dynamatted to help with the sound and rattle reduction.

Amplifier for Components:

I went with the Focal Solid 2 for these. It's a very small, lightweight, compact amp that doesn't have as much "power" as others, according to the box. But let me tell you, this amp is GREAT! Plenty of power for these (or even better) components and it runs VERY cool.

Subwoofer:

Image Dynamics IDQ 10", after seeing it mentioned in at least a dozen other threads, haha....and for good reason. This sub sounds incredible. This single 10", in my custom 12" Zenclosure box, sounds absolutely amazing and better (albeit not louder) than some of the dual 12" kicker and clarion setups I've had in the past. Very clean, precise, hard-hitting base for my rock/country, and with a few settings changed in the head unit, I can get the rumble of a 12" for my hip hop music.

Zenclosures did an astounding job on the box. They built the box specifically for the sub, using a 12" enclosure and shaving a few millimeters off each side to get the exact amount of air space (minus displacement) that Image Dynamics recommends for the sub. Obviously the correct 9.6" mounting diameter was cut.

Amplifier for Subwoofer:

Got the matching Focal Solid 1. Again, don't be turned off by the low power listed on the box. It's a great amp and gives me plenty of power. It runs a little hotter than my Solid 2, but that's expected.

I have both amps mounted under the seats with absolutely zero wires showing.

Radar Detector:

While not really "audio/video", a lot people include detectors in their audio setup plan.

I purchased the Valentine One. Just like others have said about it, it works great. The arrows may look cheesy, but they are invaluable. A GPS module to remember false alarms like the 9500 Passport would be great, but overall I'm extremely happy with it. In the first week, it's potentially already payed for itself. Don't let the website fool you, this thing is actually pretty tiny! Their website makes it look huge and clunky!

If anyone has any questions let me know.

A big thanks to all the members who helped me decide on all the pieces of my puzzle, especially Big Matt (bigaudiofanat). Thanks man.

"Any man who can drive a 370z while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the Z the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein....modified.

Last edited by Matt; 11-27-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote