Thread: grounding kits
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Modshack
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
what does a grounding kit do?
is it only on the stillen gen 3 intakes?
Grounding kits are pretty controversial. Some swear by them, some laugh at them. Essentially what they do is tie the battery, parts of the engine, and chassis together with a more robust grounding system. It doesn't make power, it just provides some alternate paths to keep the electrons running around in your engine bay happy. On electrically complex cars this sure can't hurt, and most likely helps. Some report brighter lighting, some smoother engine response. It's hard to separate fact from the Placebo effect here. If the stock ground connections are marginal or accomplished with smaller gauge wires this fixes those problems. "Feeling" an actual improvement (other than the aforementioned placebo effect) is a big maybe. I put one on my Z just because. I do believe that very complex electrical systems will potentially develop some weaknesses somewhere. I did this on my Previous Audi TT primarily due to the complexity, and general unreliability of that system with failing ground points. I never had problems, but who knows if the grounding loop had any impact. The Z is well engineered and probably doesn't "need" any assist, but for the few bucks it cost to put a system together (Wire and some connectors, under $30) it was worth it to me...YMMV

(this has nothing to do with the intake BTW)

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!

Last edited by Modshack; 11-26-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote