Thread: Sound Proofing
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Benibiker
Base Member

Drives: Red 17 370Z Touring
Benibiker will become famous soon enough

I installed some of this 3M Sound Deadening Pad on the wheel wells. It's self adhesive and it works well. I lifted the car, removed the rear wheels, cleaned the wheel wells with soap and water, let it dry and went at it. Where I could install full sheets I did and were I couldn't I cut pieces to fit almost like a jigsaw puzzle. It completely eliminated the dinging rock/stone sounds inside the cabin and made it overall quieter. I drove around yesterday in the heat of the day and the hot highway and the hot exhaust/brakes didn't affect it, the pads stayed on. I used 6 sheets and had about half of one left, the material is very malleable and heavy too; the 6 sheets weighed in at 30 lbs. I haven't driven in the rain so I don't know how it'll do once it gets wet but the adhesive is very good. I think it took about 3 hours to do both rear wheel wells. Lots of work! I did this to eliminate the rock/stone dinging sounds back there, you still have the regular road noise which comes in through the spare tire and hatch area behind the seats but no more rock noises.

2017 Pure Red 6MT 370Z Touring

Last edited by Benibiker; 09-14-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Benibiker is offline   Reply With Quote