View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #87 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheth View Post
Charles do you think now it's safe to DD at 600rwhp? I know you said you where 525 or so before or you think 500-550 is still the safe zone for a DD TT
I ran it at 586+ for a year after 2 years of the 525ish, then now almost another 100 and it didnt break after a day of abuse, indicating it probably didnt get overly fatigued by the 586....

so I am going to raise my "safe" zone opinion to about 575-600rwhp for a daily driver. Assuming there are no tuning quirks. Personally I would never run the stock engine at that power on pump gas with the factory ECU... I have seen my ignition timing make too many decisions of its own to trust it on pump gas and high power.

Driving habits and peak torque are probably a larger factor though. I beat my car furiously all the time, but if my torque was up higher it might not have lasted all this long. But then again, I do not even ask my engine for peak torque anyway.

Any time I am going to high throttle the car I downshift and start at higher RPM. For example, I would never put my car in 5th gear at 3000rpm and just floor it. No way. I wouldnt even do that to a factory turbo car. Sure when I am in higher gears I will throttle it enough to make decent torque and enjoy the fact that its a high comp turbo 6 and not a low compression 4, but I dont ask it to be a viper v10 either.

I would also never personally road race a twin turbo 370z unless it was a proper race car. Maybe I would go at it a few laps at a time turned down to 500 and only with E85 and tons of airflow and cooling upgrades.

My only cooling upgrades right now are a small oil cooler, I think maybe 24 row, and its behind the intercooler... and a vented hood. Stock radiator still.

Not intending to get so off topic, just saying my piece on what i would or would not do when expecting a stock engine to hold together.

Last edited by phunk; 09-13-2014 at 05:14 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote