View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
So I've long been a nut about waxing my cars. I've always done it by hand, but the work of it when I got married and added my wife's car to the mix became too much. I tried a $30 B&D buffer which removes wax a bit faster than hand, but I don't think it does much for quality. I'm now considering a Porter Cable, but I'm wondering what the real role of these polishers is.

From what I've read, the PC is more for polishing than waxing. Polishing seems to be a somewhat rare event...perhaps twice a year to remove swirls or to take care of scuffed areas in the clear coat/paint. I have some minor clearcoat scuffs that I want to fix, but I don't know if a PC is really necessary. Any thoughts on the added benefit of having a PC or other applications (for my Z) to make the purchase worthwhile?

I have one and it's a good product. Because it's random orbital, you can't burn the finish. "If" your car sees any outside action, they are great for polishing out hard water and acid rain spots. My car unfortunately sits outside all day while I am at work, so rain will sit on the finish and bake in the summer. Twice a year I use a very mild polish to "freshen up" the clear coat and remove any spots. I then do a coat of Meguires NXT, which I apply and remove by hand. If your car is garaged all the time, you might not use one very often, if at all. I like mine however, quality product.

John