View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #439 (permalink)
radensb
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z GM M6
radensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update

So the dealership never got back to me... of course. So I tried to limp the car home after work. The clutch engagement got so bad that I had to pull off the road as I was having trouble shifting gears. The odd thing was that the clutch came back to normal after having the car off for only about 10 seconds! So I started driving home, but it only took about 60 seconds for the problem to return, but at least I could get her home.

HMMMMM.....

All I did was stop the engine, so I concluded that my issue had to be heat related. ie: boiling fluid. Now back when I got my MCS and CSC replaced, they noted that they put in the Nissan GT-R hydraulic fluid which is supposed to be rated to take the heat.

I really didnt want to deal with the hassle and the dealership (or the cost), so I decided to just bleed the clutch myself. I used MotorMedic DOT 5 fluid from GUNK:
Amazon.com: Motor Medic by Gunk M4011/12 DOT 5 Brake Fluid - 11 oz.: Automotive
UPDATE TO UPDATE:
DO NOT USE U.S. DOT 5!!! UUUGGGHHHH.... Apparently the site I was reading has a DIFFERENT spec for "DOT 5". DOT 5 is NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT 4 and below... Even though I didnt mix the DOT 5 and old fluid, DOT 5 is not good for the seals. So I am going to immediately flush out the DOT 5 with DOT 4 when I get home from work.

It was the only thing O'Reilly Auto Parts had that was rated for 356°F (wet boil) and 500°F (dry boil). When I bleed the old fluid out, it was full of bubbles and black. Definitely didn't look good. WTH?? After 6 months of typical commute driving (~15 miles each way)?

Being that the MotorMedic was DOT 5 and can't be mixed with DOT 4 and below, I used the entire 11 oz bottle to flush out the old fluid until the new (purple) fluid came out clear any without bubbles.

Result:
Clutch felt great, so I took her for a spin around the block. No issues. This morning during the commute to work, I had zero problems. We'll see if anything acts up in the next few weeks.

Last edited by radensb; 09-05-2014 at 12:40 PM.
radensb is offline   Reply With Quote