View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
pukka
Base Member

Drives: 01 Mazda SM
pukka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS138 View Post
I really question and doubt their site security. Used them yesterday for the first time to register for a POC event. Within a few hours had two attempts to transfer money from the same CC I just used. Received Fraud alerts from Amex and called them so see that someone had attempted to spend 200+ on Ebay, and transfer 600+ to paypal.
Brian from MotorsportReg here - I believe I traded a private email with GSS138 last week but I wanted to comment here just so everyone knows how it works.

First, we partner with payment gateways who handle the processing and storage of attendee credit cards. We never see the number on our servers which is better for us and for you and part of how we're able to be PCI DSS compliant with a small team. Our partners process billions of dollars per year for the biggest brands on the Internet which is not to say they are invincible, but rather that it's not some shady virtual lemonade stand.

Second, it's highly unlikely for you to use a credit card on a North American based website and moments or hours later have that card used fraudulently. That pattern is much more likely with card skimmers or other physical (vs. electronic) fraud which are becoming increasingly difficult to identify. Check out this article and think whether or not you would spot this at your BFE gas station?

Stealthy, Razor Thin ATM Insert Skimmers — Krebs on Security

The new Home Depot breach looks like it may go back to May or April but credit cards and personal data are just now showing up on the black market. Generally the crooks don't start selling cards until they either have them all or they get locked out. Once they start selling, the banks can identify the source of a breach and ratchet up fraud protection/shut off cards.

The irony is that while mom and pop Internet retailers may be an easier hack target, they just aren't lucrative enough to interest criminals with the skills and resources. Those guys are looking for millions of credit cards in a single hack. Trusting "real companies" like Target, Home Depot, Dairy Queen, and PF Changs is actually more risky - that's where most credit cards historically are stolen. The bad news is you aren't likely to stop shopping there because it would be inconvenient. The good news is that other than the inconvenience, you won't be on the hook for any charges.

Anyways, if you ever see something that doesn't look right on your online billing or CC statement, call us anytime at 415.462.5603 and we'll look into it. My credit card is stored and processed in the same system as yours, so I have the same interest as you all in keeping your data secure!

PS - I've had my card compromised 3 or 4 times, almost always while traveling and from some kind of skimmer or bogus ATM. Be wary!
pukka is offline   Reply With Quote