Thread: burning oil
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
chops
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: NA
chops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond reputechops has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Yeah, I use 0W-40. The oil isn't as thin as 5W-30 when it gets up to operating temp, therefore maybe it won't pass by the rings if you guys are burning oil. I've used it for about 14k miles now. No issues at all. Doesn't the GT-R come from the factory with 0W-40?
yep. mobil1 doesnt publish their NOACK values, but from what ive seen 0w-40 is in the 8-9% range. its an ok value, but its overall a great oil. i wouldnt run 0w-40 in our cars though unless you're FI'd though. its significantly thicker at operating temp versus a standard 5w/10w-30. your engine may lose some power due to the added thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
now that your engine is sealed(?) wat happens if you go back to mobil1 5w30?
the thing is, my z isnt burning that much oil with the m1 5w30's.
everyones engine is different . going purely by my own anecdotal evidence, in the last 30k miles, i havent burnt any oil. fill up at 6 quarts just to the top of the dipstick and 6k miles later, i still have the same line on the dipstick
chops is offline   Reply With Quote