View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rid3_FaM0uS
Track Member

Drives: 2011 BS Nismo 370z
Rid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond reputeRid3_FaM0uS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Generally, you always shift as late as you can due to torque multiplication. But when you have a scenario where gear A or gear B will BOTH just light up the tires anyway.... well in that case it makes no difference aside from what is easier to drive... and that will be the taller gear. If you still cant go full throttle in second anyway, then I would experiment with early shifting and seeing if you can do it without the car landing too low in the powerband in second. Otherwise, always shift as late as you can.

One thing I have noticed about my car, it doesnt like to shift while the wheels are spinning. I havent really sat down to think about that one... but I have observed that if I am in first gear banging the rev limiter from tire spin, its not going to let me into second (nasty grind) unless I let off for a moment. I assume the tires and drivetrain need to decelerate down for everything to be happy and allow the shift, just havent really thought about it yet.
I too recall having that issue several times! id drop the car down into first to do a little pull and shifting at 7500-2nd gear my clutch would just screech instead of changing gears. makes me worry about no lift shift in my racelogic honestly I don't want to be causing inadvertent damage to a trans/clutch/flywheel.