View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #47 (permalink)
VCuomo
Track Member

Drives: BMW 335i Sport
VCuomo will become famous soon enoughVCuomo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
So, I'm still pondering a 370Z and I've been semi-lurking/posting here for a few weeks now. And while the prices don't seem too far out of whack with what I can swing, as an old person, I try to put my money into some kind of quality.

So, is it just me remembering how things used to be or is it now expected cars come off the assembly line with too many defects and incomplete design/component testiing?

To wit, a brief review of the various threads I've read:

Hatch problem (Nissan won't fix and the "coin repair");

Oil heat problems;

Paint defects;

High pitch whine / ECU noise;

Engine oil leaks (and at least one engine replaced);

Shifting problems (1-->2) and shifting/clunking noises (differential?).

(and maybe other problems I haven't even seen yet)

Now, I have a Nissan PU ('98) and I had to take it to the dealer 3 times for a cab leak (water) and it's never been fixed and a repair to something in the steering wheel column down in the engine bay. And the right-side mirror can't be tightened enough to keep it from vibrating (I've gotten used to it).

And my RSX had a TSB on the strut housing or something (clunking when turning and going slowly over a speed bump or driveway) and a known shifting problem that you have to fight like hell with to get Acura to deal with.

SO...

Having said all this, a couple of questions:

Is this number of problems with a new car to be expected these days? What happened to all that quality I learned to expect from Japanese cars? For those with multiple problems, would you buy again? Should some of these problems be fixed in 2010 (or do you think Nissan will just continue to pass them along as long as sales are doing as well as they want)?

Yeah, I'm rambling and I don't expect every question to be answered but if you feel like commenting, I'd appreciate it. And if you feel like flaming me, go ahead and take a shot. I know I'm in the forum where people are likely to get upset at my comments.
This from a guy who owns a Fiat X19?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

BTW, I've owned my 370Z for over 6 months now and have about 4K miles on it - zero problems.

Last edited by VCuomo; 11-24-2009 at 05:34 PM.
VCuomo is offline   Reply With Quote