View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Limeybastard
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 370Z Sport.
Limeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond reputeLimeybastard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
An interesting conversation I had with a regional manager. Not sure if he was BS'ing me or not, but I'll repeat what he told me and see if it clicks right with others:

* All 370Z's are built at a single location: the factory at Tochigi. There is only one assembly line for the Z, and it's retooled each time for the different models. This is why the 2015 coupes are out on the lots, but there are no 2015 NISMO. Nissan has to slightly retool the line to assemble the NISMO, and they hadn't done that yet.

* Nissan has a date range when they accept orders; then actually build the cars to fill those orders. The NISMO range is currently still open. Once the window closes, Nissan builds the cars to arrive within 90 days. Requests that miss the deadline, must wait until the next opening before they are fulfilled (thus being more than 90 days). These windows are rotated to fit the coupe and NISMO retools.

* This is why there's a flood of 2015 coupes happening now. There will be a flood of 2015 NISMO next. The regional manager didn't know when the NISMO retool would occur - only that it was expected to happen soon. Because the NISMO is somewhat costlier, he doesn't think the NISMO order window/production run will last as long as the coupe's.

* Many of the coupes being fulfilled right now, were actually ordered before the 2015 was formally announced. Some dealers just automatically order the oncoming year without waiting, as a measure to keep inventory fresh. This is why many of the 2015 coupes showing up on the lots right now, don't have the Tech Package option. Dealers didn't request for it, because no one knew it was going to be a thing.

Sounds about right. I heard something similar with the convertibles.
Limeybastard is offline   Reply With Quote