View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
ZeeBabar
Banned

Drives: 2006 350z
ZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond reputeZeeBabar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did it, interesting/tough day but traded!

Well, I had been considering trading my 2010 370Z for over a month, ever since I had gone for an oil change and a salesman had suggested I trade it in for a base coupe with $9-$10 difference.

I just could not get rid of the idea of trading it in for a newer car, being 66 and thinking time is running out, that health would become a factor.

When I purchased my 2010, in early 2013, it had 23k miles. I had traded a 2010 Miata With PRHT plus $6000 for he car. The Nissan dealer in TN had shown me a CarFax that showed 1 owner.

Well, yesterday, I went to CarMax. They loved my car looks, liked how it drove and I was waiting to see what they would appraise for. I thought if they said $20k, I would sell, if $19k, I would have a baseline to negotiate with other dealers. To my surprise, they came back, said my car was only worth $16k, pulled up the CarFax for my car, showed that shortly after it was sold, it was reported stolen and then a minor accident with front right repairers, probably a scrape. They Aldo said the bonnet and the hatch were not original, probably replaced because of hail damage!!!

I left car max and went to the first dealer, a large GM dealer, who had a gun metal 2013 with sports package with 8600 miles. They had it listed for $28k. I had a couple of other dealers to visit, nod with a 2012 touring with under 5k miles (but automatic) and another dealer with a 2013 Pearl white. With sports package and manual at $29k with 11k miles.

The first dealer appraised my car, started with a difference of $12k, pushed hard at $10k and I said I would think it over and return. He asked me how much I plan to spend and I said that if I had to check out some low mileage 2012's and I'd I can get one for $8000 difference I would. He huddled with his manager a last time ( he still had my car key from appraisal or I would have left) and came back, said if they accepted an $8000 difference, would I trade? I paused, said I really wanted to look at this 2012 at another dealer, gazed at the gun metal car and finally said okay.

So, I drove home with a 2013 sports package, still afraid they will call me to return the car on Monday. I paid $8035 to be exact.

The car drove beautifully, the 110 miles from St. Louis. I love the wheels and the red brakes (do the brakes really matter if you do not track?), the shift changes felt slightly different ( still no idea if the synchromesh?). The gun metal grey looked good but at this moment, I think the black was a better color. So now, I have a 2013 car. I think the shock of discovering my car had been hail damaged, stolen and been in an accident probably did it. I would no longer have felt good.

I don't know if I was major dumb or if I should have gotten a 2014 base coupe (not sports package) for an additional $2-3k or if the sports package is worth it?

Sorry for the long update.
ZeeBabar is offline   Reply With Quote