View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #35 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiru View Post
Drew, my Z is a replacement for a Miata and I raced SM for a brief moment in time.

The Z will be a great track car but its not quite there yet. I'm trying to take baby steps with it to get the balance right but due to work, I haven't gotten as many track days as I would like to test it out. Next one is Grattan mid Sept.

Since my last post I installed a 25row Z1 oil cooler kit. Amazing difference in temps so I think that problem is solved. I was very concerned running at 260 degrees before.

The brakes will still need some attention as I want more cooling. I've got some ideas that'll be mocked up in the next coming weeks. I'll post pics as I get it worked out.

As for handling, the Z is good but not Miata great. The power is there to rotate the tail however there is a definite understeer issue that needs to be worked out. Unlike an SM you can't mash the throttle...a little more dexterity will be needed. I'm going to start with an alignment to get as much camber as stock parts will allow and possibly wider fronts since mechanical grip is always my first step. If that doesn't correct it well enough then I think the adj control arms for more camber.

From the feel of it I don't think heavier sways in the front will help with the Nismo package. Its already got heavy bars and not a lot of roll.
Youre going to find the car increasingly frustrating as you start to do the things you think are easy for track work. Understeer is just related to lack of negative camber up front and perhaps toe settings. Also need plenty of tire up front too (nothing less than 285 in my opinion). SPL's adjustable upper arms are decent and allow caster adjustment as well.

If you dont make major changes in springs you will need a big front bar. It helps keep rear end planted annd does help with rollover. Overall just reduces need for so much neg camber. Hocthkis is decent cheap adjustable bar.

Oil temps. be careful your running upper end right now. Id go for biggest cooler you can mount. Also be waware if you go with sticky tires the cars have oil starve issue as well. ...speaking of starve get one of Phunks suel starve kits or you will be doomed to running full tank of gas forever.

Brakes. Be very very cautious. If you are serious track guy and like braking deep the OEM abs system will bite you with Ice mode eventually. First time it happened to me I almost $hit my pants. Had to throw car sideways into turn to slow myself down. Important to now the 370Z is heavily rear brake biased in stock form. You should keep that in mind when making pad choices.

These cars handle far better than any SM I have seen on track. I pass them in turns all the time in the Z. I