View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Shiru
Base Member

Drives: 2011 Nismo
Shiru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
Thanks Tracy! Do you feel you can drive the hell out of it like you can the Miata?

It's hard for anything to compare to an SM car. They're phenomenal through the turns and will reward you with a little more straight line speed. I just don't want to drive one everyday. I'm making the change from an ITS RX7. Less power than the Nissan and decent (at best) through the turns. I'm just trying to consolidate everything into 1 car.
Drew, my Z is a replacement for a Miata and I raced SM for a brief moment in time.

The Z will be a great track car but its not quite there yet. I'm trying to take baby steps with it to get the balance right but due to work, I haven't gotten as many track days as I would like to test it out. Next one is Grattan mid Sept.

Since my last post I installed a 25row Z1 oil cooler kit. Amazing difference in temps so I think that problem is solved. I was very concerned running at 260 degrees before.

The brakes will still need some attention as I want more cooling. I've got some ideas that'll be mocked up in the next coming weeks. I'll post pics as I get it worked out.

As for handling, the Z is good but not Miata great. The power is there to rotate the tail however there is a definite understeer issue that needs to be worked out. Unlike an SM you can't mash the throttle...a little more dexterity will be needed. I'm going to start with an alignment to get as much camber as stock parts will allow and possibly wider fronts since mechanical grip is always my first step. If that doesn't correct it well enough then I think the adj control arms for more camber.

From the feel of it I don't think heavier sways in the front will help with the Nismo package. Its already got heavy bars and not a lot of roll.
Shiru is offline   Reply With Quote