View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #1094 (permalink)
Modshack
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testdriver View Post
I test drove a 2009 sport with touring 370z. I drove it for over 10 minutes from standing to around 40 mph, starts, stops, turns. I noticed the heat gauge going up and up and figured maybe the sales rep didn't put enough coolant in the car. This was in October, with average temp outside of around 68 degrees F.

When we got out of the car, there was an obvious burning smell.
I think you're a little confused about what we're talking about here. The car was not overheating, and your salesman sounds like an idiot if he did not know what was happening here. Oil temps and water temps are 2 completely different things. It takes longer than 10 minutes for the Oil temp needle to even get off the peg. You were probably referring to the temp LED gauge, which really isnt a gauge. Anywhere from 150 to 220 degrees will light up the same dot. It will rise quickly from stone cold which probably confused you. Your salesman shouold have known better. On the Burning smell, it's NOT burning...Just oils and preservatives cooking off that are just part of new car build procedures. This will take a few days. From a coolant perspective, this car actually runs very cool...in the 180 degree range which is low for modern emissions controlled cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think you're the first person to have high temps while going 40 mph.

I've gone 130+ and have done some pretty-spirited driving and haven't gotten close to being worried about the temps.

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!

Last edited by Modshack; 11-24-2009 at 08:46 AM.