View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
future370zzz
Track Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370z
future370zzz will become famous soon enoughfuture370zzz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsui_san View Post
I agree with you on the safety point - that's why I'm still on the 8lb pulley albeit with a custom tune. Another priority for me is CARB legality...I don't want to run around looking for a shady shop who will pass me for $300. I'm way too old to and don't have a lot of time to do that anymore. As such I am running the kit with my stock cats. If I didn't care about CARB I would've just gone TT.

Got my kit installed/tuned at Borelli Motorsports (close to Z Car) by a guy named Aaron (former lead tuner at Stillen). He knows my car is a daily as well and perhaps he was just being overly conservative about needing 93+/methanol injection to go with a 9lb pulley. Not surprisingly Stillen recommended this as well and rebuilding the engine with an impeller upgrade. Wondering if it's safe or even worth it with my setup to try the 9lb pulley and then just detune a bit like you did (more boost but less timing = minimal gains?)
Yeah, California sucks for aftermarket mods. I see where you are coming from with CARB.

Don't know what your numbers are with the 8psi kit but if you're close to 400whp the car will still be fun to drive.

The stock cats will push the psi up which will bring up the engine temps and may cause the engine to blow if you push it too hard with the 9psi pulley and impeller upgrade. It has happen to a few. Just have to be ready to re-build the motor if you go with the power upgrades.

1 psi could pickup maybe 10-20whp/trq. Would need the pulley, install and re-tune. Could cost you $1K. Maybe ask Aaron how much power you could pickup from increasing to 9psi pulley. You will not be running at 9psi every minute you drive. Just have to be diligent about not mashing on it all the time but that can be a challenge.