View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #121 (permalink)
Montez
Track Member

Drives: 16 LEX GS,09 Z,03Max
Montez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by b15 View Post
Seems like hybrid drive trains are the future of sports cars. Great concept for instant torque, but I'd like to see how they hold up to some hard driving first.

Also given the Z's following and the massive amount of money members spend to go FI, I don't see an issue with a $50k Z if the power/handling/looks are inline. It's a niche car so it'll get exponentially more expensive as the performance increases. If it were sold in masses like the Corvette, it'd be a different story. I would personally buy one if it's a great out of the box package vs going turbo on an NA engine + supporting mods. The end result would cost about the same too. I don't understand what this obsession with $30k is. Yes, the Z was originally introduced as a budget friendly sports car, but that same reasoning will prevent the Z from evolving.

Also keep in mind Nissan's financial troubles when the 300zx was discontinued. They were on the verge of bankruptcy. Yes it was pricey for it's time, but it was also ahead of it's time and gave many cars a run for their money. This is what I think Nissan needs to return the Z to. Not a cost cutting $30k sports car. If Honda brings the S2000 back and Toyota the FT-1, this Z35 will fit right in. I would love to see the return of competitive Japanese sports cars.
Well Nissan itself markets it as a budget competitor to Caymans and other sports cars and has been marketed this way for years. The world knows it as such and its formula has worked for the most part, if Nissan upped its starting price to 50K ish you think that it has low low sells now from the 29K price point. Virtually no one would buy it and it would die off pretty quickly at that price point.
Montez is offline   Reply With Quote