View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
It's not grease, it's rust. It looks like the car has been submerged at least to the axles, but it could be caused by a lot of things.

As per wheee!, I'd pull the rotor and inspect the bearings - it's been a long time since I saw that much rust in that area on a car. Might as well regrease while you're in there. Clean all the ferrous parts well and apply some high-temp paint (or a VERY light coat of grease) to everything that is not close to the rotor. Put it back together.

If you see any problems, especially with the bearing, I'd check the other three, too.
Thanks. The lack of noise or play/wobble made me think it's just rust also. Any ideas on the best product to use to remove rust?

....It just dawned on me that the last time I replaced the brake pads a little over a year ago I washed the inside of the wheels. I could have easily placed the wheel back on the car without letting it fully dry around that area.

Last edited by Cmike2780; 08-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote