View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Manufacturers quote the lowest MSRP price they can legitimately claim to be the value of a new car.

That never includes tax, tags, destination fees, yadda yadda.

Arm thyself with the holy Black Book when battling these Princes of Lies. The Back Book is critical for buying a used car and useful for arguing prices on cars approaching the end of their MY or to make the case for a price around invoice on the magnitude of imminent depreciation for your new car based on past MY's (a weaker, more nuanced argument to craft, but a worthwhile point to make if they get defensive over the MSRP). Also, of course, find out the invoice price, which is usually several grand less than MSRP. More profit for them for doing very, very little work.

Also keep in mind: Whatever price is agreed to there is NO WAY they are not turning a profit for basically doing nothing but directing you to a car in a showroom, often without even any significant knowledge of the car you are considering. Find out the dealer holdback (on Nissans, I believe it is 3% -- that is pure profit they have already pocketed for moving the car from a trailer to the lot).

The guy who fixed your sandwich, carried out your garbage, and delivered your mail worked a lot harder and receives far lesser compensation for doing these necessary tasks.

Fight for the lowest price you can without fear, guilt, or sympathy. Expect the same vigor from the salesperson and come prepared.

Secure financing before you get there and never reveal how much you were approved for.

Review the very helpful Z buyer's thread for more details.

Last edited by Jordo!; 08-14-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote