View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Drakonis GTR
Base Member

Drives: 09' 370Z B/S Rd M6
Drakonis GTR is a jewel in the roughDrakonis GTR is a jewel in the roughDrakonis GTR is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, general rule of thumb is that if you have to file a claim, they will generally increase your rate. Though whether or not they increase, or how much they increase, is dependent on the company, and sometimes on how long you have been with them.

I agree with Madwi, best way to find out would be to call your agent. They should be able to give you the run down on how it will work out.

Technically, anything that causes damage to the vehicle is an accident. the fact that there wasn't anybody else involved, unless you happen to have the info (ie, license plate) of whatever schmuck left the piece of metal in the road in the first place, is irrelevant.

Case in point, when I worked at Progressive, we had a vehicle come in (a 2003 Volvo S60 I believe) where the owner had filled the car with diesel fuel instead of gasoline. Apparently his previous car had been a diesel. Anyway, no structural damage, but his entire fuel system had to be emptied and flushed, and all of his filters, and even some gaskets, had to be replaced. All was done under his insurance policy, which of course ended up with his rates going up. I still remember one of the head estimators commenting on seeing this claim, "Well, we are in the business of insuring stupidity."

By the way JameJ1996, that isn't a slam on you. Just an example of how some in the insurance business think.

2009 Nissan 370Z Base w/ Sport Package
F.I . LTHs with Non-Resonated Cat-back exhaust (C.F.) / Stillen Gen3 CAI / Up-Rev Tune
Drakonis GTR is offline   Reply With Quote