View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
BA9092
Base Member

Drives: '13 370Z PW 6M
BA9092 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I'd still suspect something else if you've already tried balance 3 times at different shops, all with nice machines.

Since you mention factory locks/lugs, I assume it's factory wheels? Have you added spacers or done any suspension work? Can you characterize the vibration? (Does it seem to come from the front or rear? Only in certain speed ranges? Accel vs Decel vs Steady Throttle vs Coasting in Neutral, etc?).

I assume the tire shops that did the balancing would have looked at the tires and wheels themselves for damage/defect. Hit any potholes or curbs lately? Check tires for bulges from a broken belt or crazy uneven wear patterns from bad alignment?
I appreciate the help, wstar!

Yes, factory lugs, locks, wheels and original Potenza RE050's. All suspension and brakes are stock as well. I do have 15mm Z1 stud-replacement spacers all around though.

Hub Centric Wheel Spacers & Extended Studs

I've gotten to the point where there's barely (but still there) a slight steering wheel vibration before on smooth, black asphalt at 70-90mph. But it's been screwed up since from further balancing since I'm a perfectionist.

I'm pretty certain it's coming from the front. It feels like theres a patch of hardened gum or layers of duct tape on one of the tires. I can feel it on the steering wheel while in a straight line between 70-90mph on a smooth road. Sometimes it's visible in the steering wheel but sometimes it's just felt. It's not constant, which puzzles me even further. It doesn't seem to get worse or better with throttle changes or just coasting.

No curb rash, no potholes. Tires look good. I'm sure one of the shops would've pointed out any tire damage or runoff - especially with the RoadForce machine, no?

I've got 14k miles on them. No track time and 20%/80% city/highway commute. Are the stock RE050's that bad when wearing down? Are they the Z1 spacers (which I were told were a reputable product and shouldn't cause a problem when in stalled properly?)

I've only gotten one alignment done since new and it was done by a shop that solely work on track cars and suspension settings, so I'm sure they would've mentioned if something was out of whack.

I know I can get close to a year's worth out of the original RE050's, but if they're the culprit, I don't mind replacing them sooner with something better.

Also, if the Z1 spacers are the culprit, do you have any recommendations on other brands? I'm not sure if I can use the current longer studs with the factory lugs/locks if I were to remove them completely.

Again, maybe I should've just stuck with the "barely noticeable on occasion" feeling than screwing it up further by getting them rebalanced and getting MORE vibration instead of less.