View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
AK370Z
Administrator

Drives: 09 370Z MB Sports M6
AK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
I'd say my TPMS light went off within 50 miles of swapping (the next day).

Have you noticed a huge change in your traction now? These winter tires are so soft and squishy that anytime I get on the gas, the VDC lights up. Even on the highway at 70mph, dropping down to 5th gear and flooring it makes the VDC come on. I'm finding the performance hit in dry weather to be rather annoying. Hopefully the snow performance makes up for it. It may also be related to the 40-50F temps we still have. Perhaps the traction will improve once the temps go below freezing and the tires firm up.

What have you noticed with traction, AK?
Spear, I'm glad you mentioned this. YES, I am in the same boat. I took the car to the highway. It was 60+ degrees out. When I was accelerating on the acceleration lane, my tires were spinning from 3rd to 4th and even 4th to 5th (6000 RPM + shifting)! I laughed out loud in the car (luckily no one was in the car, although some people driving next to me thought that I should be on medicine!).

I drove the car the other day in colder temp (like 38 degrees) and the grip is pretty good. I think these tires will maintain the same grip even when the temparature is below freezing. This is where they differ from all season and summer tires, since they can maintain the similar grip from 60 degrees to 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside temp.

Also, you have to realize, our tires are still breaking in.

Tire Tech Information - Breaking In Your Tires
Quote:
Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you, low tread depth tires respond quicker."Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.

NOTE: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period for optimum performance.
The performance hit is something we have to live with. I would rather loss a bit of performance than doing 360s in the snow. ( and I'm not even joking, last year I did a 360 in snow on a busy road with my Z with 300 miles. My heart stopped for a split second ) So, this year, I can't wait to say hi to the snow!

BTW, TMPS went off. I will call the dealer tomm and see if I can stop by for recalibration.
My Monterey Blue Z ll My Exhaust --> My Intake --> G3
Nissan's Official Response Regarding Oil Temp Issue: CLICK HERE
Need a Set of Cheap Winter wheels /Tires? Then Visit The Banner Link Below and Place Your Order. You'll Help Keep The370Z Alive.
AK370Z is offline   Reply With Quote