View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
VCuomo
Track Member

Drives: BMW 335i Sport
VCuomo will become famous soon enoughVCuomo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSTR View Post
... If you in fact change early you are doing more harm and causing more wear as the additive package that protects has not had enough time to bind sufficiently to bearings and other surfaces. ...
With all due respect to your friend, I don't believe this is correct. If you change your oil with oil that has the same additive package, you'll still get the same protection (it'll just come from cleaner oil).

Everything else he said - True.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My car sees only street use, about 70% freeway and 30% street use in flowing (not stop-and-go) traffic, and in 70 - 95 degree ambient temperature. Given those operating conditions, 3K oil changes would be downright silly. I've been changing mine at 5K intervals with premium full synthetic oil and oil filters, and I'm sure I could easily and safely take it to 7.5K mile intervals (but there's no reason to, other than saving a little money, and it really is "little money" in the big scheme of things).

Last edited by VCuomo; 08-03-2014 at 08:50 PM.
VCuomo is offline   Reply With Quote