View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson853 View Post
Besides the money what is so bad about changing every 3000 miles. I understand it's not necessary but I certainly don't see it being a "bad idea"..
Simple explanation from a no shite F1 oil engineer working for a MAJOR oil company supplying multiple teams:

Oil for road cars is dual in nature-- for protection yet cleaning. The additive packages are at odds with each other - One wants to coat and protect the other wants to clean. It takes time and MILEAGE for the additives to do both. If you in fact change early you are doing more harm and causing more wear as the additive package that protects has not had enough time to bind sufficiently to bearings and other surfaces. He told me flat out changing oil too early causes more harm. Color is NO indication of anything.

Knock yourselves out - Over maintain your car with completely un-necessary oil changes by all means. Its your money and time. Ive got better things to do like actually enjoying the car and ignoring the myths on this and other auto forums. Unless you know what your oil is doing vs the mileage and wear you put it through, ie an oil analysis, you dont really have a good picture. Its worth the effort.
DLSTR is offline   Reply With Quote