View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junkman2008
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond repute

This subject comes up on a lot of detailing forums and some of the information out there is flat out dangerous, especially when it comes to what to use on curing paint.

To the OP, I'll say this. LEAVE YOUR PAINT ALONE. You are the absolute last person who should be messing with your freshly painted car. All you need to do is WASH it. Washing it won't hurt a thing unless you use some God awful soap. Any OTC soap will be fine. Using a wax or sealant that is NOT body shop safe on your fresh paint before it cures can cause some NASTY damage.

Now about curing. Cure times vary from a few hours to a few months Only the person who painted your car knows what they used and thus, are the only person qualified to tell you what your cure time will be. I just painted my front fascia and I know that the paint will be cured in a few days. That's totally determined by the products I used. So before you listen to anyone on the Internet about curing times, talk to the person who painted your car. If they don't know the answer, they should have never touched your car.

One of the body-shop safe products that I use is made by Hi-Temp and it comes from their AKRYA line of chemicals. It's just one of a few choices that I have in my garage that I can use after painting. The ONLY reason that I would be using anything after painting is to remove the wet sanding damage from the paint. That damage is necessary as I will have to remove the orange peel and trash from the paint when I'm done spraying (I don't spray in a booth so some trash is inevitable). Since YOUR car was professionally painted, the ONLY thing you should have to do is wash it. Other than that, leave it alone until it cures. That's what you need to be finding out, how long the curing time is.

I may do a video on removing orange peel and trash from the paint. Who knows, if I feel like it then I will.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 08-13-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote