View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
aszyd
Track Member

Drives: Magma Red 370z T+S
aszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond reputeaszyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmite View Post
That sounds more like they mated it up to the surface without lubing the o-ring first. You can put a filter on tight with a 1/4 turn and have to plasma cut it off if someone didn't lube the mating surfaces first.

I am on my 10 billionth oil change (HD apprentice) and it is STILL something that drives me batshi+ crazy lol
That's very possible. How do you feel about filling the filter with oil before putting it on the car? On the new Focus, the filter faces downwards, so it was quite easy to do the pre-fill, but with these sideways mounted filters, I don't know how to do it without making a mess. So I usually don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1325 View Post
Hand tighten the oil filter and for removal, nothing does a better job than using oil filter pliers. Its teeth with firmly grasp the filter and loosen with ease.
Back when I had my first car, I would let Walmart do the oil changes. They once "gifted" me a filter wrench. When I got home after a change, I noticed that the hood was bulging oddly on one side. When I opened it up, there was a filter wrench just sitting there . I think my father has it now, I'm not sure.
aszyd is offline   Reply With Quote