View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
mikechap
Base Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z SE
mikechap is on a distinguished road
Default Low Oil Caused Dead Engine - Advice needed

Howdy,

I haven't been on here much since I got my Z back in 2011. Everything has been going along smoothly with my daily driver. Until last week.

I actually had a 60,000 mile service scheduled at my local shop. I'm currently on 62,048. I had recently started hearing a strange noise when starting it up that sounded like a fan belt running. It would only last a minute or so.

I had no driving issues, saw no oil leaks, there was no smoking, no warning lights... nothing. It drove like it always did.

Then I go to drive home last Thursday and it was just chug-chugging out of the parking lot and the "need service soon" light was on (for the first time). I shut it down and had it towed to my shop the next morning.

To my absolute horror, he told me it had less than a quart of oil! I was (and still am) shocked beyond belief. After looking at a valve replacement/timing job he said there were metal shavings and that it needed a new engine.

He said there was some leaking from the plug, and I was about 4500 miles overdue for an oil change, but like I said, I had never had any issues or warnings to indicate that it was low. Without any other evidence I can't fathom that I lost all that oil without any other mechanical issue going on causing the engine to burn oil at an abnormal rate.

I have been using the same oil tech for the past year or so with no issues. He uses Mobile 1.

I'm pretty devastated and am just looking for some guidance before throwing down $7,000 on a new-to-me engine (16K miles).

I've got a call into the warranty person at my dealership.... is there anything else I can do or another direct Nissan number that I could call?

I really thought I had been taking good care of the Z, I don't push it at all, have been doing regular oil changes, had a 30,000 mile service, am on my 3rd set of tires.... I'm just gutted.

Thanks for any advice.
Mike
mikechap is offline   Reply With Quote