View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
spdandpwr
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Sport
spdandpwr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid3_FaM0uS View Post
There are no such things as "cam"(and or large cam profile) upgrades for this car. Well there are but they are VERY impractical money wise and to my knowledge haven't been proven to provide results.
I don't think that it is practical, nor do I suggest that it is absolutely necessary.

Overlap of the cams profiles is the important part. You dont want overlap on a f/i car. (overlap is the length of time both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.) All internal combustion motors rely on cylinder pressure. F/I cars need only one set of valves open at a time to reduce boost loss out of the exhaust.

With cams that reduce overlap, you can raise boost without worrying that it'll escape out of the exhaust valves. Additionally, you can run the car without the cat, allowing you make more power that. On other platforms, running catless with an s/c = more power.

This is by no means a knock on any of the s/c and t/c kits that are available. They work great. I'm just saying that if we had the opportunity to reduce overlap, I think that we'd be able to make even more power. I defer to the k20 civic si that is running 15lbs of boost and making 420+ hp and 29X lb ft of torque...that's impressive and he used cams to get there.
spdandpwr is offline   Reply With Quote