View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoren 370 View Post
I think with the current technology with engines this wear and tear issue upon starting is thing of the past. If there is any at all...the engine is solid!
With modern engines, I don't think frequent (several times per day) starts are a problem but every start does create a little extra wear & tear. IMNSHO not something to worry about but not exactly a thing of the past either. I'd put it in the same category as downshifting the 7AT in manual mode - as long as you are reasonable about it, the amount of damage is minimal and can be ignored. I'd be more concerned with wear & tear on the starter and battery but, once again, not a big deal unless you are starting the engine a lot.

My biggest worry would be oil draining from lubed parts due to infrequent running during storage. Going by what I've seen/read, there will be a sufficient film of oil for 2-3 months or more. I'd still start my stored vehicle every 2-4 weeks or so if it were me. Starting it every day is overkill.