View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #3543 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

actually i was wrong too with the 200fps per inch. but i just saw a guy cut a 24" barrel to 16.5" at every inch. the 24" was the fastest. like Hilters V-3 cannon you do get the fastest rounds out of the longest barrel. im sure a 5.56 will eventually slow but i dont think we'd know when, when most only go to 24". i believe him since most 24" barrels like the tester guy shot, was almost 3500fps out of a reminton 700 with a normal 5.56 55gr round. the guy that shot through the ar500 had a "bull something" barrel that was chrome lined or something, adding to the speed he said. he seemed to know his stuff so id guess he did 3700fps with a chronograph at some point.

regardless of m.v., at 50 yards he punched straight through it while none of us could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvette View Post
Interesting. Since most of my 5.56 platform guns are 16", muzzle velocity doesn't matter much to me. While the 5.56 will shoot to 600 yards, I don't see much need to shoot that range with that small of round. For 600 to 1000 yards, I prefer a .308 or .30-06 (again, personal opinion/preference). While muzzle velocity will increase to a point over a 10" barrel, there is a barrel length that you get max velocity, anything over that will actually cause a decrease. So maybe I was a little out of line saying 'BS' on the m.v. claim. Unless you were shooting over a chronograph to get an accurate reading on velocity, someone saying his muzzle velocity is xxxx, I tend to be a little skeptical. That's just me. I'm more of an accuracy guy, I load to what gives me the best performance out of my gun at the range I want to use it for. For what it's worth, I just looked at Federal's website for their ammunition. It shows that a 55 grain boat tail is driven at 3240 fps. They show 3700 fps with a 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

I definitely don't want to get into a disagreement over m.v. on a 5.56, or what it does to body armor. I've been around firearms for a long time, and I tend to be skeptical when someone claims a m.v. that sounds outrageous to me. It's great that there are Z owners that enjoy firearms and shooting, so on that note, I'll say no more about 5.56 m.v.