View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #147 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to paint my whole car with rattle cans! The car was originally metallic silver (I wanted white but hate pearl white! Next to real white, pearl looks yellow) but after an accident where I had to replace the passenger quarter panel, it came primered black, so instead of having the quarter panel painted to match the car, I decided to just paint the whole car with plasti dip matte white.

The plasty dip looks good, has held up okay and is easy to fix with dip fix but when you touch up a spot with spray cans, the over spray makes fuzz on the car. And if you mask off sections to protect from over spray you get a clear raised line. With plasti dip you need to paint a whole panel after a fix and white needs like 100 coats to cover! I'm just tired of fixing and the last reason is I just miss smooth gloss!! If you want to plasti dip pick a dark color!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok to start...red scotch bright pad to scuff the clear coat off of your less than 1 year old car.

Next, primer after you clean the surface with acetone. I did about 3-4 coats. First ones lighter, then to heavier ones. After several hours I wet sanded with 600 grit paper till it was baby smooth.

After 48hrs to harden I then cleaned the primered surface with isopropyl alcohol. Then I sprayed about 3-4 coats again light to heavy with original Chrysler white from duplicolor. It's the 4th white I tried and whitest white I could find.

After another 48hrs I wet sanded with 2000 grit paper. You can see all the orange peel which is why I had to. You want to sand out all the shine till its 100% dull.

Still shiny

Just right

Then I used Maguires rubbing compound with a rough wash cloth. You can already see a night and day difference!

Then I used Maguires polishing compound and a micro fiber rag. Looking very clear!!

Last I still need to wax it with Maguires carnauba wax after its hardened a few weeks. Not bad if I say so myself. The rest of the panels will be done one at a time.