View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2013 Z. Painting the whole car with rattle cans :)

Decided to paint my whole car with rattle can paint! The car was originally metallic silver (I wanted white but hate nissans pearl white! Next to a real white, the pearl looks yellow) but after an accident where I had to replace the passenger quarter panel, it came primered black. so instead of having the quarter panel painted to match the car I decided to just plasti dip matte white.

The plasty dip looks good, has held up okay and is easy to fix with dip fix but when you touch up a spot with spray cans the over spray makes fuzz on the car. if you mask off sections to protect from over spray you get a clear raised line. With plasti dip you need to paint a whole panel after a fix and white needs like 100 coats to cover! I'm just tired of fixing spots and the last reason to remove the plasti dip is I just miss smooth gloss of normal paint! If you want to plasti dip a car pick a dark color!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's plasti dip matte white

Ok to start...red scotch bright pad to scuff the clear coat off of your less than 1 year old car

Next, primer after you clean the surface with acetone. I did about 3-4 coats. First ones lighter, then to heavier ones. After several hours I wet sanded with 600 grit paper till it was baby smooth.

After 48hrs to harden I then cleaned the primered surface with isopropyl alcohol. Then I sprayed about 3-4 coats, again light to heavy with original Chrysler white from duplicolor. It's the 4th white I tried and whitest white I could find.

After another 48hrs I wet sanded with 2000 grit paper. You can see all the orange peel which is why I had to. You want to sand out all the shine till its 100% dull.

Still shiny

Just right

Then I used Maguires rubbing compound with a rough wash cloth. You can already see a night and day difference!

Then I used Maguires polishing compound and a micro fiber rag. Looking very clear!!

Last I still need to wax it with Maguires carnauba wax after its hardened a few weeks. Not bad if I say so myself. The rest of the panels will be done one at a time.

Last edited by synolimit; 07-19-2014 at 10:57 AM.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote